Saturday 23 December 2017

Christmas 1975 - Hugo, Man of a Thousand Faces

Of all my childhood Christmas traditions, one I really miss is spending the afternoon and evening of the 23rd with my grandparents.  Dad would go to work as normal in the morning and come home at lunch.  Mom and I would load into the car with tons of presents for everyone and head to my grandparents' apartment.  Mom and I visited with my grandparents for the afternoon while Dad went back to work.  It was only 3-4 hours, but with presents taunting me from under the tree, those afternoons seemed like an eternity.  When Dad finally did arrive, it was time for presents. 

It was December 23, 1975...42 years ago today...when  I first met Hugo, the Man of 1000 Faces.  I hadn't been aware of Hugo and had no idea this toy existed but, even at such a young age, I watched monster movies from the '30s and '40s and '50s sci-fi b-movies every Saturday morning on a tv station we picked up from Buffalo.  Far from being afraid of the monsters, I was always asking my parents how the monsters were made.  When Hugo came out, my parents (correctly) thought it would be the perfect toy for me and went out of their way to try and keep me away from any advertisements so it would be a surprise.  While I don't recall this, my mom tells me I lost all interest in opening any other presents after Hugo.


Here's happy Lee with his new best friend.  The Santa was my Dad's gifts.  He started building model kits of cars when they first hit shelves in the late '50s and still does them to this day. The boxes that formed Santa were filled with kits and supplies:





        
Just for fun, here are some of the advertisements for Hugo that came out in 1975:


                                                 
                                          





Hugo, like so many other wonderful childhood treasures, was eventually lost to the process of growing up.  What was once the centerpiece of my Christmas eventually lost its magic and became an old toy in a box that was either thrown out or donated.  This is where I consider myself lucky.  In my adulthood, I managed to rediscover that magic of childhood where so many people never do.  Thanks to a combination of Ebay and disposable income, I've been able to buy back some of my childhood.  I had to spend a pretty penny, but I found a Hugo that had never been used so all his accessories are still sealed in their packages and Hugo himself is in brand-new condition.


Hugo and his accessories were sculpted by special effects artist Alan Ormsby.  While best known for 1972's Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, many monster kids in my age range know him best for his book Movie Monsters which so many of us got through the Scholastic Book Club at our schools.  It was a favorite book of mine and I still have my original copy:






Between Hugo and the book, I felt a certain kinship with Ormsby which is borne out by the fact we had similar (bad) taste in pants in the early '70s:



                                       




As an epilogue to this ghost of Christmas past, I finally got to meet Alan Ormsby at a convention several years ago and had him sign both my book and my Hugo.  You may think the image of a grown man walking around a hotel in Burbank carrying Hugo is somewhat ridiculous.  You would be correct, but at least my Hugo is signed now:






No comments:

Post a Comment